May Is Disability Insurance Awareness Month: Learn About Your Insurance Options
May is Disability Insurance Awareness Month and to promote the importance of disability insurance, we’re arming everyone we can with valuable information to prepare them for setting up their own policy. While you may be thinking that your home or retirement plan is your biggest asset, you’d be mistaken. Actually, your lifetime earning potential is your greatest asset as it ensures continuous income.
Disability insurance protects your income, the asset on which you rely to live. It also provides much-needed reassurance and peace of mind that you won’t lose that income in the event that you become ill or disabled. The Nevada Silver Life & Health insurance Agents at NV Silver are here to help you understand your insurance options to choose the right plan. Learn more with us below!
Choosing Disability Health Insurance in Nevada
To determine a disability insurance policy that’s right for you, we recommend following the 3-Step Approach:
- Understand the Two Disability Insurance Plans to Choose From – Noncancelable and Guaranteed Renewable or Guaranteed Renewable disability insurance plans are available. With the Noncancelable plan, the benefits and riders of the policy cannot be changed prior to the policy’s maturity date. Premiums will also not be increased at any time. The Guaranteed Renewable plan does not maintain premium costs meaning they may be increased at any time.
- Define the Disabilities Covered by the Policy – You will also need to understand what instances the policies cover and how they are defined by the policy.
- Add Riders to the Policy – Lastly, you’ll add riders to the policy to enhance and customize your coverage.
With this 3-Step approach and the help of our agency in Reno, you won’t have to worry about your coverage or its benefits!
What’s Stopping You From Getting Disability Insurance?
Just 14% of Americans claimed to have disability insurance in 2021, yet, 45% of Americans acknowledge that their families would struggle financially if a primary wage earner was unable to earn income due to an illness or disability. So, what are the reasons they have for not having disability coverage? The three most common reasons are that disability insurance is too expensive, families prioritize other financial obligations, and many people just don’t feel like they need it.
Reno health insurance professionals are able to find disability insurance that is affordable and ensures the most reliable coverage in the event that you become ill or disabled. No one expects a circumstance such as these to cost them their entire income, but disability insurance provides the best backup plan to make certain that your family has consistent funds coming in.
2022 Changes May Erase Your Medical Debt
Equifax, Experion, and TransUnion, the 3 major national credit reporting agencies, announced significant changes regarding medical debt reporting. Effective July 1, 2022, nearly 70% of medical collection debt will be erased from consumer credit reports. This means that substantially high medical bills may no longer present themselves on credit reports among the top credit reporting agencies posing a huge benefit to consumers.
Specifically, the changes include the following conditions:
- paid medical collection debt will no longer be included on consumer credit reports;
- the time period before unpaid medical collection debt would appear on a credit report will be increased from 6 months to one year; and
- medical collection debt under at least $500 will no longer appear on credit reports.
Meet with a Reno Health Insurance Agent
If you’re interested in learning more about disability insurance or general health insurance in Nevada, you’ve come to the right place. Our health insurance experts will help you find the plan that best fits your needs. Connect with us today!